Re: MSD Ignition upgrades

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 13:58:26 EST

I spoke with a "Mopar" person who's been working on them for a long time
(and former president of Mopar Alley) and he doesn't know of a "Multiple
Spark" unit that came "factory" on any of the older vehicles. His old Dart
340 didn't have it (and it came with the optional electronic ignition
system), neither does his Fury or Challenger. They did offer the
"Electronic Ignition" upgrade instead of the conventional points system back
then.

If you hook up the Dakota (or most other vehicles) to an automotive
oscilliscope (tested on an older SUN machine) and watch the spark "hits"
(Spark Waveform), there's only one...not multiple. I had that tested when I
first installed the MSD (two years ago) on the truck at a local shop to make
sure that the MSD was working (before & after). Once the MSD was
installed...multiple "hits" appeared.

If you read the Magnusson Moss Act, you'll find that they can't void your
warranty just because you have aftermarket parts installed. Let alone an
MSD box. The two local dealers that I took my truc to for waranty work all
asked how the MSD box was working and all stated that they recommend them
for an aftermarket bolt-on. (One service manager also stated that he didn't
care if the MSD was installed as long as it wasn't causing any warranty
related problems.)