Re:Lift/Gears...?

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 17:30:54 EDT

Funny you should ask as I was talking to Unitrax about new gears a couple of
days ago... I have a '98 and I'm almost positive our front axles are the same,
which means they are roughly a dana 35. So, we can go to 4.10 gears pretty
easily in the front. I left my notes at home but if memory serves, the front
gears were in the neighborhood of $200. Strangely enough the rear is a bigger
problem/more expensive to stuff the 4.10's into. I think they were in the
neighborhood of $300 + some kit or replacement parts that brought it up near
$400 for the rear gears & kit alone. I'm really not positive of these numbers
but it started adding up too quickly for me to justify 'em... Of course I'd
have to tack on labor to install them as I don't have the proper equipment to
set them up correctly.

To answer your question though, 4.10's are possible on a '98 (and therefore I
believe a '97) kota 4x4.
Good luck!
Tom