Lift/Gears...?

From: Brown, Mike (CAD) (MBrown@ciena.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 15:15:58 EDT

DML,

        Okay...I now have a 3" body lift & 3" (Rancho) suspension lift, I also swapped out the rear leaf spring 2" blocks for 3" blocks
and cranked up my torsion bars about an inch. This now gives my a total of 7" of lift. I bought 33"x12.50" BF Goodrich All Terrain's, but I
know I can squeeze 35"x12.50"s. (if I crank up the torsion bars another inch and add 4" blocks instead of 3" for the rear)
I was told I can't change my gears front gears because they were "maxed out". I have a 97 Club Cab Sport 4X4 with the 318. The current gears
are 3:92 with 8-1/4" rear. (That is the reason I decided for the 33"s.) Is this really true that the front is maxed out? I am not a mechanic,
but I would think that if I can upgrade the rear gears with no problem, I should be able to upgrade the front as well? The mechanic who
told me this said I needed a 99 Durango front differential/axle from in order to change the gears....
Is anyone running 35"s on a 97?

-Mike Brown
Pasadena, MD
97 -Sport