Re: Battery relocation

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 17:47:58 EDT

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, GS- wrote:

> Has anyone relocated the battery to the truck
> bed yet? I've been considering this move for a
> while to balance everything in my RC and Mopar
> suggests doing this for performance reasons.
> Just curious to see what gauge wire you guys
> recommend, 4, 6, 8,? Using a relay? Ground wire
> lengths? Battery housings? I've got some ideas
> which means I'm about to be dangerous.

  Hey, what a coincidence! I was just thinking of posting about
the same thing. (I need to free up some room in the engine
compartment for ummm... something else.) ;-)

  Anyway, those battery cables are thick! Probably will cost
me a fortune just because of the amount of copper involved! Due
to the longer run, will the cables running to the bed need to be
even thicker than the stock ones? Where can I find the proper
cables, preferably for as little cash as possible? (Autozone had
some cables, but I think the longest were 60") How do I
cut/splice/crimp cables that big without having to go out and buy
a tool I'll only use once? I noticed that Autozone has a couple
of different battery boxes, but besides what looks like a slot
molded into the cover of the box for a strap, I don't see an
obvious way to attach them to the bed. Do I just bolt 4 mounts
to the bed (one on each side of the battery box) and hold the
thing down with 2 cris-crossing straps? I believe I've seen
some battery relocating brackets in Summit but I think they were
more than I wanted to spend. :-)

  Thanks in advance!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'