Re: Battery relocation

From: Travis Higgins (travis@primenet.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 00:57:38 EDT

> Anyway, those battery cables are thick! Probably will cost
> me a fortune just because of the amount of copper involved! Due
> to the longer run, will the cables running to the bed need to be
> even thicker than the stock ones? Where can I find the proper
> cables, preferably for as little cash as possible?

What most people recommend and what I used on my Cuda is welding cable. You
can go to just about any welding supply store and buy the cable by the foot.
You can even get like 00 gauge if you wanted it. From what I remember it is
less then $1.00/foot. It's good quality also. You should definitely run a
larger gauge then stock to make up for the voltage drop that occurs due to
the longer cable run. Check out MAD Enterprises at
http://www.mad-enterprises.com/ for some good tips for relocating the
battery. They sell a number of different kits, they are high quality but
also expensive.

For battery terminals and ring terminals I found some at a local electronics
supply store. I was really unsure how to attach the cables (this was like 9
years ago), but what I did was put the wire in the ring terminal then stuff
it with many small lengths of solder and heat it up with a propane torch to
melt the solder. I have since seen a crimping tool that you actually clamp
in a vice then hit with a hammer to make the crimp.

Hope this helps,
Travis
00 CC R/T