Re: Re: Lower Gears and Highway Cruising

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 13:23:09 EDT

Shari & Marty wrote:

> Shane ole buddy, you are reading Greg Rager's articles too much, he and I
> have been round and round concerning this.

You know - I agree that it is somewhat on the conservative side but thats the
side I like when dealing with my motor. I mostly just didn't want 700+ people
to get a false sense of security just because they have aluminum roller
rockers. Besides - if you study a dyno chart of the magnum motors (especially
the 360) you will see that performance (hp and torque) drops off like a brick
after 5K anyway - whats the point of going over 6 grand?
Unless you have modded so much that you have shifted the curve that far upward
the rpm scale - you would do better to shift earlier anyway.

Furthermore - if there weren't some validity to that story in Mopar Muscle -
then why would the aftermarket even be interested in making a lighter lifter as
you stated?

Lastly - I would have to draw mostly upon what I have seen rather than what I
have read. If you have seen as many cracked, split, and wore out lifter bores
in small block mopars that I have - you would have a similiar opinion. These
are low rpm torque motors not high rpm horsepower ones.

Just my $0.02 - Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"