Re: Re: Lower Gears and Highway Cruising

From: Shari & Marty (msdng@netzero.net)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 14:22:59 EDT

No, my point was it the magnum motors handle more than he gives credit
before. My profile
cam could and did when he said it wouldn't. The rod ratio on the 318 is much
better than the
360 and better suited for high rev profiles. I won't argue about the 360
dropping off, with the stock cam, when I installed the Comp cam, the truck
hit the rev limiter hard and fast with no falloff. There are even v-6 owners
pounding thier motors with 250 squeeze kits and still running. I am not
saying this is recommended, but to test strength, you have to tempt
strength. As for the lighter lifter, there are many guys running non
emissions magnums up to 8500 rpm with their profiles, and that's why there
is a market. It just happens that the lifters will apply to the lower rpm
applications of the emission's magnums. It's like putting a block girdle on
a moter that never goes over 5250 rpm. As for low horse, high torque I would
have to respectfully disagree. 340's love playing above 6000 as do some 7500
360's I know of. Trying to get torque outa these motor is tough without
pressurization, torque is for big cubes.
Most daks have stock cams, springs, ports and pcms calibrated for mild
performance, they are detuned. That only limits their potential, add a 750
cfm, small tube headers, single plane manifold and a 230/230 500 lift
camshaft on the same motor and your springs and bottom end will hold up.
Just be aware of their articles, that's all.

. (((( This is why if you start the vehicle at a low altitude
and climb to a much higher hill/mountain the vehicle will feel sluggish up
there. If you pull over and turn the engine (and keyswitch) off and back on
(resetting this calibration) you will regain the lost torque)))))

As for the hill climbing PCM adjustment, there isn't any market pcm that can
adjust to get your power back, you just can't MAKE air. I was the most
depressed guy in Albuquerque when I ran 14.70's in Florida and came back to
post 16.30's. If the hill is less than 500 feet, it will not be noticable by
feel of the pants. Even a blower or turbo can't make air. I am unsure of
what you mean by regaining in the above.
Kuk

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World