Re: Re: Lower Gears and Highway Cruising

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 15:33:04 EDT

Shari & Marty wrote:

> No, my point was it the magnum motors handle more than he gives credit
> before. My profile
> cam could and did when he said it wouldn't. The rod ratio on the 318 is much
> better than the
> 360 and better suited for high rev profiles. I won't argue about the 360
> dropping off, with the stock cam, when I installed the Comp cam, the truck
> hit the rev limiter hard and fast with no falloff.

My point was that I don't consider it wise to recommend to 700+ people who have
mostly stock engines to feel safe about revving over 6000 rpms just because they
might have upgraded to aluminum roller rockers - thats all.

> There are even v-6 owners
> pounding thier motors with 250 squeeze kits and still running. I am not
> saying this is recommended, but to test strength, you have to tempt
> strength. As for the lighter lifter, there are many guys running non
> emissions magnums up to 8500 rpm with their profiles, and that's why there
> is a market. It just happens that the lifters will apply to the lower rpm
> applications of the emission's magnums. It's like putting a block girdle on
> a moter that never goes over 5250 rpm.

I don't think the majority would like to "test strength" or "tempt strength" on
their brand new, highly respected, Daks. As far as 8500 rpm on a 318 or 360 -
yeah right - how common is that? I see 360s (LA motor in an A or E-body)
running low 12s all day long that never have to go over 4800 rpms.

> As for low horse, high torque I would
> have to respectfully disagree. 340's love playing above 6000 as do some 7500
> 360's I know of. Trying to get torque outa these motor is tough without
> pressurization, torque is for big cubes.

340s are not even vaguely related to this conversation - so I thought. And 360
not a big cube torque motor? On what planet? Guess thats not why they are the
gasoline engine of choice for a 5000+lb truck that might do some light towing
huh?

> Most daks have stock cams, springs, ports and pcms calibrated for mild
> performance, they are detuned. That only limits their potential, add a 750
> cfm, small tube headers, single plane manifold and a 230/230 500 lift
> camshaft on the same motor and your springs and bottom end will hold up.
> Just be aware of their articles, that's all.

This I mostly agree on. Although the factory springs aren't worth a crap.

> . (((( This is why if you start the vehicle at a low altitude
> and climb to a much higher hill/mountain the vehicle will feel sluggish up
> there. If you pull over and turn the engine (and keyswitch) off and back on
> (resetting this calibration) you will regain the lost torque)))))
>
> As for the hill climbing PCM adjustment, there isn't any market pcm that can
> adjust to get your power back, you just can't MAKE air. I was the most
> depressed guy in Albuquerque when I ran 14.70's in Florida and came back to
> post 16.30's. If the hill is less than 500 feet, it will not be noticable by
> feel of the pants. Even a blower or turbo can't make air. I am unsure of
> what you mean by regaining in the above.
> Kuk

Nobody said anything about MAKING air. Go back and re-read the entire post and
try to put it into perspective. It turns out that ALL the enrichment modes -
especially delta-TPS and delta-MAP - use the stored ambient MAP as a value to
calculate how much extra fuel and spark to deliver under those conditions. When
you start at a low altitude and expect ANY kind of driveability (much less
performance) at higher altitudes - you flat out wont get it UNLESS you turn the
ignition off and back on so the computer can compensate. If you still think I'm
trying to MAKE air - you are confused. Try it - you'd be surprised at the
difference. Try to think of just enrichment modes like stabbing the throttle
and how that relates to how much EXTRA fuel the computer will deliver under both
conditions - if it doesn't KNOW about the difference in ambient pressure - HOW
do you expect it to react? Sluggish by both theory and experimentation.

Respectfully,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"