Re: Re:Re: Lower Gears and Highway Cruising

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 19:09:29 EDT

At 01:04 PM 4/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Any comments from other DML'ers about this rpm range being achieved safely
>many times over? With the full rocker upgrade of course.
>GS -

I've got the MP lifters, retainers, beefed pushrods, guides, valve springs
and 1.6 al. roller rockers. I've hit 6000 rpm on many occasions on the
track. Not by choice but because it would not shift out of second using
the manual shift technique. Don't like it but I probably would have had
many bent valve stems and/or tattooed piston heads without the beefed valve
train.

The valves will float at this rpm without the MP valve springs ...
happened to me on a few occasions before I had MP springs in but backed off
immediately and no damage.

BTW, running it to these rpms does nothing for better ETs, as
I'm sure everyone knows ... makes noise and extra wear though.
With the MP Magnum R/T cam, peak hp is around 4600-4800 rpms, meaning
optimal shift points are around 5100-5300 rpms.

An aside. Last Sat. at the track, I had the 2-3 shift problem again.
Looked at the recorded frames of the run on the scanner, I reached a
tick below 6000 rpm in second before I was able to get the shift
... mph show 104 when the shift was made.

Just my unwanted experiences.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.