Re: Autovantage.com (long)was --Re: Joy and sadness all at once

From: Chris Oertell (coertell@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 02:05:43 EDT

I do know that the dealers also get the dealer holdback from the
manufacturer that most people don't know about. It is usually 3%-5% off of
dealer invoice. For my truck that would have been $480.00 roughly. Add in
the $100.00 over invoice and a few other nickel and dime things and in the
end I can see that a dealer is still making some serious money. And to
think of all the people who get their cars for even close to sticker and it
is freightening to think how much money these dealerships are making. No
wonder there are so many of them. But the current trend is to try and sell
cars, trucks and motorcycles over the internet through the company itself.
Ducati sold all 30 of it's Mike Hailwood Replica motorcycles over the
internet in only 20 hours or so. And I hear that Kawasaki is getting ready
to sell their bikes off the internet as well. Sorry to ramble...To get back
to the subject:

You also have to watch out that the dealership doesn't tack on a advertising
fee which can be hidden in the cost. Overall I just liked the idea of not
having to haggle and I really don't think I would have gotten a better deal
if I tried to go to the dealer myself. Especially on a new for '98 model.
The other thing to try is to go to the fleet office rather than try to go
through the sales office. I have heard that they usually have different
managers who are used to giving the certain customers their lowest price
without having to haggle. But usually it helps to know someone at a
dealership in order to get this.

Chris Oertell
Arcadia, Ca
coertell@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~coertell
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport V6 Regular Cab Emerald Green
1989 Kawasaki EX500
AOL IM--coertell73
ICQ #--19870422