Re: DML:Tonneau covers do save gas!!!!!! And increase driveability!!!

From: msnbcnnbcbs@juno.com
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 16:00:51 EDT

Fibreglass tonneaus don't really weigh that much. Maybe 100 pounds?
My old fibreglass cap for my full-size truck weighed less than 200 pounds

easily. So a flat piece of the material can't weigh that much.
And if you've ever seen a vinyl tonneau flapping on the highway, that is
pretty in terms of aerodynamics, so a solid, flat, surface for the air to

flow over has got to be the best thing available for gas mileage.

Yeah, well you cant compare a 5-15 pound soft tonno with true fiberglass
one.

Starting with the fact that they are MUCH more expensive. True, you can
lock up your valuables there, but
science dont lie. Your Dak is carrying more weight because of the
fibergalss tonno than the soft one, and since I got a V6,
the less I weigh, the better! My soft tonno doesnt start to flap until
about 50+ mph, so anything below that and its nice and stable. Besides
the only other alternative to any of these two would have been taking off
the tailgate. (or that rubber net)

Sure it flaps, but Ive taken that flapping tonno well over 100 mph, and
let me tell you its better than nothing.

Guahiro

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.