Re: Roller rockers- neat update and a spankin!

From: GS- (GSWillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 13:56:47 EDT

Dester223@aol.com wrote:
> Okay, I'm gonna bore you with details.
> After the Rollers we installed "right" I drove it abuot 147 miles around
> town and here and there and it was doing fine, then I start to hear a
> tapping/clicking sound.

If all else fails, let me tell what I ended up doing. Some
of you may freak out, but it worked. I grabbed some HEAVY aluminum
foil from the kitchen and with the valve covers off, I more or less
surrounded the heads so the oil flying off the rockers would drain
back into the heads and not on the engine and garage. Don't laugh
cause it worked great. Next with the engine RUNNING, I adjusted
each rocker till I heard tapping and then went 1/4 past 0 lash to
get the tapping to stop. I still had to take the covers off a few
more times to get to those rockers that required more attention
and more turns (1/2 - 3/4). This was basically a very old trick
of rocker adjustment with a little aluminum foil added. NO SPILLS
OF EXPENSIVE SYNTHETIC OIL, just a few spots here and there. I liked
this method because the engine is telling you where the adjusments
need to be made and you don't have to rely on just your own touch
of spinning pushrods. Which brings up a question during adjustment,
"is the lifter bled or is it loaded? Is the lifter on the base lobe
of the cam? I'm not saying my way is the right way, but it damn sure
was ONE easy way to adjust the rockers.

GS -