MPI install details.. (ummm.. LONG)

From: Jon Smith (fast4x4@bellsouth.net)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 21:03:12 EDT

LONG post, don't forget to snip if you reply...

Well well well what an interesting day. Started at 8am, total of 4 parts
runs, so that ate up about 2 hrs and let's not forget the tornado warning
pit stop, so that ate up about 30-45min (reported tornado touch down 5mi
from where I was at the time :-/ ) So I'd allow 6hrs for the install given
ideal conditions. I did run into a couple of snags, the biggest being a '93
upper rad hose (the one that goes around the a/c pump instead of over), the
lack of T-stat hold-down bolts, and I felt that I needed to use washers on
the EGR block-off plate (only apply's to pre-96 trucks) Other than that,
everything went A-ok, finished putting vaccum lines and coolant in standing
in the rain; had 1 TB backfire that about removed a thumb, that was
eventfull ;-)

Results: Keep in mind I never removed power from the computer (POS stero
looses audio settings if I kill the juice, and I forgot about unplugging the
computer)

I had been calibrating my butt-dyno all week, driving up hills at a given
rpm and at a given speed so that I would have something to compare throttle
position to. (this all made perfect sense in my world, so lemme know if I
lost yall) all it's got to report is no change in bottom end (measured at
~1400rpm, TC was slipping) I expect this to get better after I clear the
comp tomm. As for the regular driving, I can't really notice any
difference. Step on the long vertical pedal and she roars up to redline.
This thing is down right impressive! I pulled out to pass a silverdildo
(preach??? ;-) ) started at a 45mph roll, pulled it back into 2nd gear (auto
tranny) and gave about 3/4 throttle got to clear of the truck... WHOOPS!!!
i'm doin 80!!

I figgured 1 good run wouldn't hurt anything to bad (I hope) so I stand on
it from a 10 roll... 1st gear the truck runs like a raped ape on crystal
meth, 2nd gear feels like that ape's dad.

Tommorrow I'm ridin up to Chesapeke to look at a dsm with a buddy of mine,
so that'll give the comp time enough to reset itself.. boy I can't wait till
about tues or weds to see how she runs with a computer that knows what is
goin on ;-)

Ok, excuse the novel length post, I think I'm going to go play in the dak
more now =)
    Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
      95 318 4x4 CC auto
  www4.ncsu.edu/~jdsmith4