Re: Platinum fuel efficency

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 18:22:05 EDT

Well, that guy sent the same website to me last week, and after a little
research, I posted the following URL to this list last week:

http://www.usps.com/judicial/1981deci/10-1dd.htm

It basically says that the claims made by the company (National Fuelsaver
Corporation) didn't hold up. Granted, the info appears to be rather old
(early 80's?).

The idea behind it was to get more of the fuel to burn in the cylinder, and
this was probably somewhat effective on older carbeurated engines that had
poor fuel distribution (MSD ignition was also effective ;-) ; however, with
the newer port-fuel-injected engines, I think the benefit would be much
less. On the carb'ed engines, one of the independent scientists quoted in
the URL above thought that the platinum apparatus might be good for 5%
improvement under ideal conditions. Couple this with the fact that you can
buy a heck of a lot of gasoline for the $150 or so that they want for the
platinum, and it just doesn't really make any financial sense, not to
mention that it will need re-filling. Ok, I'll quit rambling.....

--
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate