Value of gas saving mods

From: Cal Hyer (clhyer@hom.net)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 00:18:28 EDT

I haven't looked at that platinum link yet...but what would a good return
be? I looked at that last fall (when gas was 99 cents a gallon and came up
with the following:

My truck, a '99 V-6, I usually average about 18 mpg, I expect to put at
least 150,000 miles on it.

So, at today's mpg I will expect to purchase 8,333 gal of gas over it's
life, at today's cost of $1.35 I can expect to pay $11,250 for that
"privilege".
If I can boost average mpg to just 19, I will only have to buy 7,895
gallons, which would cost $10,658, for a savings of $592.
At today's gas cost I can justify spending close to $1,200 to reach 20 mpg,
considering that gas will fluctuate in price, over a ten year life span I
could probably justify more. If gas costs more where you are you can
justify more. If you plan to replace the truck with fewer miles you can
change the above scenario to fit your plan.

Tony, my check will be on the way this week for a TB and intake kit!
Cal Hyer

BTW, for $150 I would need to see about 18.25 mpg - not a huge increase