Re: Reverse gear synchronized?, DIY stereo install

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 17:55:46 EDT

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 ZeNel1eac1@aol.com wrote:

> ABSOLUTLEY, COMPLETELY NORMAL. I know this for a fact! If anyone argues
> with me on this they don't know what they're talking about.
[...]

  Ok, I don't know what I'm talking about. :-)

   I suspect this has a lot to do with each particular transmission; I don't
know that you can cover all stick shifts with a blanket statement like that.
Also, the original poster said it always happens, not just sometimes. I have
owned nothing but sticks ever since I got my license (except for my '92 Ram)
and none of them have done this on a regular basis. (VW Rabbit Diesel,
Izuzu P'up, Dodge Colt, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, Dodge Dakota V8. Also a
Virago 750, FZR600R, and Intruder 1400, if bikes count...) However, our 8
speed John Deere does do this quite a bit (you actually have to move the
tractor several inches sometimes to get it to go from a forward to a reverse
gear). But hey, its a tractor! :-)

  Anyway, I don't know that its safe to say that its definitely normal, as
its possible there really is a problem there. To the original poster, you
might want to drive a few other Daks like yours (if you can find 'em with
5 speeds!) and see if they do it. If none of the other Daks you drive
do it, you might have some extra ammunition to get the dealer to check
it out. (Hopefully under warranty.) If you think there is a problem and it
really bugs you and the dealer doesn't want to do anything, try another
dealer or keep complaining to anyone at DaimlerChrysler who will listen. :-)
Or maybe you can get the dealer to put in writing that there really is no
problem, and if it turns out in the future that there really *was* a problem
and your tranny fails out of warranty because of it, they'll fix it for
free. ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'