Re: Re:MPI low end

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 18:47:12 EDT

At 04:26 PM 4/17/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Bob, the MPI appears to be a jump off platform for
>supercharged and nitrous Daks. I'm beginning to wonder
>if having one on a normally aspirated Dak is a benefit.
>I'm looking forward to hearing about your dyno numbers.
>Thanks GS -

Hopefully I'll have the dyno numbers for the MPI for next
week. I got the numbers with the stock intake a few weeks
ago. My expectations are about a 25 hp (+/- 5) gain at the
rear wheels and a torque curve that's flatten out.

There is no doubt that anything that will get the extra
flow through the engine (wilder cam, etc. ... power band in
the 3500-6000 rpm range) will help. With our stock engines
and even with the Magnum R/T cam, the benefits will be less.

Too bad I had that 30-35 mph (maybe more) headwind yesterday
 ... I thoughtit was a gale! Temp. and humidity were ideal
at 48-50F and 18%. An Indy Ram who set a personal best of
14.49 at this same track the weekend before was trying out
a couple of new mods (secretive) and was running 0.50 sec.
slower than his pb and at the same trap speed as I was (86 mph).

What I believe will help on the track will be at least 3.90 gears
(probably 4.10 gears) with an auto. to give you more track for
those upper rpms. Right now, with an effective gear ratio of about
3.80, I'm going through the traps at 4500 rpm ... like to get that
up to 4800 - 5000 rpm.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.