Re: MPI low end

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 19:57:02 EDT

At 06:05 PM 4/17/00 EDT, you wrote:
>How about your 1/4 times and speeds ??

Hi, Bill

Best I could do were a couple of 15.3 runs. That headwind was murder ...
never ran into something like that before. Temp. and humidity were great
at 48-50F and 18%. An Indy Ram who ran a pb of 14.49 last weekend at
this track was 0.5 sec. slower yesterday and running the same trap
speed as I was.

1/8 time and mph were off by about 2/10s and .5 mph on the average.
1/4 traps were 85-86 mph ... off about 5 mph on the average. Also,
on those two 15.3 runs, I had shift problems (1-2 on one; 2-3 on the
other) and had to let off a bit twice. This usually costs me about
2/10s in the quarter. I was looking at two of the runs that
I recorded on the scanner. I noticed that the TPS was putting out
4.7 and 4.9 volts no matter what the throttle position was at (closed,
WOT, or inbetween). I do have the ability with the scanner to reset
the minimum TPS voltage output ... will have to investigate to see if the
connections are okay or the TPS is toast.

>I have a different cam though but The MPI is a higher rpm
>intake and I found that shifting at about 5800 made quite a difference for
>me. I tried the 5200-5400 with not much gain but when I moved it up I
started
>getting results. I think about a 6500 shift would be the thing :-) ...

Thanks for the tip. If I could nail down the problem with the shifts
(started after the Transgo kit install with manual shifting at WOT only)
I'd try it that high.

Man, I would be tickled pink to run a 14.6!!! Have to be satisfied for
now with a 0.507 reaction time.

Will post as info. comes in.

Bob. Southern Ontario, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC Sport, FR, 5.2L, 3.55 SG, auto.