Re: MAP Sensor "Issue"

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 23:05:09 EDT

Ptturbo@aol.com wrote:

> How is it being determined that there is no knock?
> Thanks,
> Mike V
>
> > a friend of mine in a 99 r/t is spraying a 100 shot with the performance
> > computer on premium gas with no octane boost and he has no pinging
> problems.
> > not only that, but he had his heads shaved so his compression is even
> bumped
> > up a little over stock.

Good question - I've sat right next to people in their trucks as they claim
theirs has NEVER pinged as we are going up a slight grade w/them marbles in a
tin cup just rattling away. Guess some people are just "tuned" in to it more.
Also - I've heard that you can be pinging without even hearing a thing. So
much so that it will cause a knock sensor to excite and cause timing to get
retarded. (theres that phrase again - I must have used that word too much in
gradeschool 8-)

I haven't stopped thinking about what Bernd said about pressing the pedal a
little more to make it go away. He didn't even argue w/me a little when I said
something about pedal down should cause worse pinging unless downshift occurs.
Maybe he's on to something. I keep thinking about that 3D map - I wonder if it
only occurs in a certain "region". Hmmm... my scan tool has the ability to
output to an ascii delimited text file. I might just have to generate a 3D map
of my 360s timing curve and identify the "region" that mine used to ping in.
Bernd - does your scan tool support this? We could collect several "bad
pingers" and scan them and identify those regions on a 3D map to see if they
overlap.

Bad thing is - I believe we might be reaching the point that CC has already
gotten to. Didn't they say that reflashing the PCM would be a potential cure?
Thats the only way to change that 3D map....

bummer

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"