Wheel and Tire Woes...Help Needed! (Long)

From: Michael Hines (michael_hines@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 14:12:16 EDT

Hello Fellow DML'ers,

As some of you may remember, a few weeks ago I purchased and installed a set
of Gara 122 17"x8" wheels and Goodyear Eagle II 275/60R-17 tires on my 2000
Durango. Ok..so far so good. Well, here is where the problem started.

I have had an unreasonable amount of vibration since I put them on (I did it
myself in my garage using a hand torque wrench...torqued to 100 lb-ft per
spec of 85-115 lb-ft). I have had them balanced numerous times, rotated,
remounted and rebalanced and am having no luck whatsoever with resolving the
vibration.

After calling the Tire Rack (where I purchased them), they told me to rotate
and remount and rebalance and they would reimburse me for my expenses (they
have been very good to work with so far), which I did, including the
"dismount, turn 180-degrees, then remount and rebalance" routine that
usually fixes any out-of-roundness problems. Well....

...No such luck. Not only do I still have an imbalance that seems to be both
in the front (felt in the steering wheel) and the rear (felt through the
seat), but the brake rotors began to shudder and vibrate when I used the
brakes, which it never did before. At interstate speeds the vibes will
increase and decrease as I go around curves, but never go completely away.

I put the original wheels and tires back on after a week of this, and -
SURPRISE! - , no more vibration, no more warped rotors. So I called Tire
Rack back and they want me to take the 17" wheels and tires someplace to get
a "road force variation" measurement on a "Hunter machine." Nobody seems to
know anything about either one of these two items where I live.

I then spoke to a friend at a Sears Auto Center who told me that Dodges use
a ~1/8" "clasp" or "retainer" of some sort on one of the studs on each wheel
to hold on the rotor and the brake drum. He told me if that had not been
removed prior to installing the new wheels and tires it could cause
vibration both in the wheel and the brakes. I am going to look at that
tonight.

Does this sound normal? First, have any of you with aftermarket wheels ever
heard of this retainer on the stud? Did you need to remove it before bolting
up your new wheels? Have any of you ever just gotten a "bad" set of wheels
and tires that you couldn't get to balance? Anyone ever have to do a "road
force variation" measurement? Any tips or experience would be greatly
GREATLY appreciated! Thanks, guys (and gals). I sure hope I can get this
figured out soon!

BTW - I'm on digest mode, so if you could copy me in directly on your
replies I sure would appreciate it before I tear into everything tonight!
:^)

Mike Hines
2000 Durango SLT+
1999 Camaro SS M6