Re: Dragstrip improvements

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 09:47:37 EDT

Hi, Shane.

At 10:44 PM 4/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
> <snip> Cut 5 tenths off my previous best time!! Even cut 2 whole
>tenths off my 60ft times! <snip>

Congrats. 0.5 and 0.2 off in the 1/4 and 60' is really something and
just by replacing a faulty MAP sensor.

>After getting home and analyzing the runs - I was amazed that apparently
>I never got over 4100rpms???? Say what??? Thats what my scanner read.

FWIW, I was going through the traps at 4000 rpm with an effective gear
ratio of about 3.50:1, Transgo kit and mods which moved my powerband
up the rpm scale. Even with lowering my shift points, I had only
a few hundred feet of track left for 3rd. By changing rear tire size
which gave me a eff. ratio of about 3.80, I had more track to work
with 3rd and am going through the traps at about 4500 rpm.

Too early to tell but I'd like to get that up to about the 4800-5000 rpm
range with the MPI. I need to do further testing with the MPI first.
With my setup, going through the traps at those rpms will mean either
going with 3.90 gears and the current 26" drag radials or going to 4.10
and back to 28" drag radials.

What gear ratio and tire diameters are on your Indy?

Bob