Dragstrip improvements

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 23:44:39 EDT

Finally made it back to the ole dragstrip - with my new MAP sensor. I
was waiting in line when the track opened at 5pm. Was 2nd in the tech
line. Got 9 passes in an hour and 15mins!! Wow! Cut 5 tenths off my
previous best time!! Even cut 2 whole tenths off my 60ft times! Ok
I've only had 3 other quarter mile dragstrip passes in my truck before
(same track - Memphis Motorsports Park). Beat several ricers (everyone
I ran against 8-) and a Cutlass Supreme. Got smoked badly by a Mustang
GT w/381 stickers on the hood (stroker 351??). Got beat worse by a WS6
Firebird (he ran a 13.8 - I went home 8-). Also had my scanner hooked
up and recorded 8 full runs. I was so excited about getting so many
runs in that I forgot to stop and analyze them - wish I had done that.
Ran several 16.0s and cut two .5xx lights (.547 and .572) but redlighted
TWICE trying for the ever elusive 15s. These trucks run in the 15s
stock so I was scratching my head. I did have a half tank of fuel and a
few hundred pounds of luggage and gear w/me (work). My first 5 runs
were the best because after that I started loosing traction badly. I
could only slightly load the converter - anything over 1000rpm and it
went up in smoke and I'd lose 1-3 tenths. The track just got worse and
worse so I left.

After getting home and analyzing the runs - I was amazed that apparently
I never got over 4100rpms???? Say what??? Thats what my scanner read.
Idle reads accurate at 600rpms - matches the tach. Ever since I got my
new tranny - it seems to slip much more than the last one (no shift kit
- yet). Also I noticed that while not in OD (all my runs were w/OD off)
my tach shows about 4500-4800 at the shift. That don't match what the
scanner said - weird.

Will play with the TV cable - should have done that a long time ago I
guess. I might get some RRs first. I'm just tickled about shaving 5
tenths for the price of a MAP sensor, beating the heck out of a bunch of
ricers (one guy raced me 3 times in a row - he had just spent a grand in
shiny new upgrades - lost by a couple tenths each time - then he went
home 8-), getting 9 passes in so quick, and learning alot - especially
about that tree 8-).

Cool huh? - Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"