Re: TPS voltage @ WOT

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 14:37:41 EDT

Bob Tom wrote:

> At 12:48 PM 4/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >I checked it on my dak... just under1 volt at idle.. and just under 4 at
> >WOT, same thing on my dads 99 Durango with the 318... neither knock...
> >would that mean if i get one from a parts store, it would read higher?
>
> It doesn't look like it would. I have measured two (the original and
> on that I got from the parts dept. when I got F&B tb) on the scanner.
> Tom has measured the one on his and you've done two. It looks like
> that's the normal range of these TPSs. I just don't know why printed
> material sources say they should read 4.5-4.8 at WOT.

Hey you guys - I've been quietly following this thread until I could add
something of value. What printed materials say they should read 4.5-4.8V at
WOT? The reason I ask is because my 1996 Chrysler Powertrain Diagnostics
text states that voltages above 0.5V and below 3.5V are valid ranges and thus
will not produce a trouble code. I would guess that around 3.4V is the magic
point that enables WOT operation. Both my trucks go to about 3.7 volts while
running and at WOT. They both start out at about 0.6V with foot off the
pedal (throttle closed).

Latr,

Shane

ps - For much better EFI troubleshooting stuff than can be found in ANY
Chiltons or even the FSM - get the "Powertrain Diagnostics" manual from the
same source as the FSM. Its about 900 pages of nothing but computer (PCM)
and sensor diag stuff. For example - it talks about the three Motorola
microcontrollers that are the brains and hearts of the PCM.

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/Coil/Wires/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"