Re: Suped 318 or 360

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 03:45:21 EDT

At 02:08 AM 4/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I wasn't gonna jump in on this one, but oh well. a 318 will outrun a 360 any
>day of the week as far as durability. also, the shorter stroke makes it a
>better suited engine for racing. the only reason a 360 works as well as it
>does is because these trucks are heavy and the 360 is a torque motor. it's
>always been known as the "work" motor. ask any "old" Mopar fan and he'll
>tell you the 318 and 340's were the horsepower makers, and will walk circles
>around a 360. take a 360 and a 318 and put them both in 3200 pound sports
>cars, and you'll never want to hear the word 360 again. that's why the ford
>302 is one of the best small blocks ever built. you can't kill them, and the
>stroke/bore design allows them to run some serious times. they have 302
>mustangs that run 8's, and I bet you if anyone told them to dump it for a
>351 they'd laugh in their face. yes, cubes are better, but only in the right
>combination. if I want to pull stumps out the back yard, I'll get an r/t.
>but since I'm looking for a motor that's gonna run like a bat out of hell
>and last till hell freezes over, gimme a 318.

    I dunno, I suppose you have to match the engine to your particular
combination, but in most motorsports circles, people seem to say "bigger is
better" the world over. A buddy of mine is a Mustang fan, so I've read my
share of 5.0 and MM&FF magazines. Stuffing big block 460 crate motors into
Fox bodies and SN-95s seems to be a fairly popular mod. Horsepower is
horsepower. If a bigger motor makes more power without a weight penalty,
the torque and HP curves aren't completely out of whack, and you can hook
that power up without overpowering the track or the vehicle, it'll go faster...

    I'll bet those old Mopar 318 and 340 advocates would drop 'em for a 426
HEMI in a heartbeat. ;-)

                                               -Jon-

   .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'