Re: Suped 318 or 360

From: Aaron (acolona@i-55.com)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 03:08:13 EDT

I wasn't gonna jump in on this one, but oh well. a 318 will outrun a 360 any
day of the week as far as durability. also, the shorter stroke makes it a
better suited engine for racing. the only reason a 360 works as well as it
does is because these trucks are heavy and the 360 is a torque motor. it's
always been known as the "work" motor. ask any "old" Mopar fan and he'll
tell you the 318 and 340's were the horsepower makers, and will walk circles
around a 360. take a 360 and a 318 and put them both in 3200 pound sports
cars, and you'll never want to hear the word 360 again. that's why the ford
302 is one of the best small blocks ever built. you can't kill them, and the
stroke/bore design allows them to run some serious times. they have 302
mustangs that run 8's, and I bet you if anyone told them to dump it for a
351 they'd laugh in their face. yes, cubes are better, but only in the right
combination. if I want to pull stumps out the back yard, I'll get an r/t.
but since I'm looking for a motor that's gonna run like a bat out of hell
and last till hell freezes over, gimme a 318.