Re: Long Trip

From: mschwall@flash.net
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 12:34:21 EDT

I can think of a few things:

-Cell phone
-Check your spare tire for proper inflation pressure
-Check the spare tire hanger, make sure it's lubed and moves freely
-Two cans of Fix-a-flat
-Good working jack and lug wrench
-Jumper cables
-Extra serpentine belt or one of those temporary belt thingmajigs
-Enough oil to do an oil change - in case you spring a leak
-Radiator coolant/water mix, minumim of 1 gallon
-12V portable air compressor - can be had for under $20 at any auto parts store
-Couple road flares
-Extra radiator hose(s) - depends on how far you think you'll have to walk for
help

When I travel I always take a full compliment of tools and spare parts. Don't
know if it's from being a Boy Scout in my youger years or from owning a Ferd. I
think it's a little of both. Sure does suck though when you break down miles
from the nearest populated area without the proper tools or spare parts onboard.
With all the weirdos these days, I only flag down someone to help or to hitch a
ride only if I have no other options, especially out in the middle of no where.
Not that I can't defend myself, but why have to?

Mike