Re: Long Trip

From: Todd Abernathy (t_abernathy7@juno.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 02:47:40 EDT

"It's a 5 spd 4 cyl 2.5 liter 3.92 rear axle 30x9.50x15 Scorpion
Pirelli's. I use synthetic oil and I JUST changed it."

So, I'm reviewing my 2000 manual, maintenance schedule A (non-commercial
use). And as I recall from your first post you have 44k and will hit 50k
on the trip. Plus, you just did an oil change. Let's see, for a 2.5 at
45k it says to inspect front wheel bearings, brake linings and flush and
replace engine coolant (at 36 months regardless of mileage). Then the
schedule skips to 52,500 miles, it calls for oil change, oil filter
change and coolant again.
To work backwards in case you missed one of these (skipping oil and
filter changes) at 37,500 change transmission fluid, filter and adjust
the band, plus change transfer case fluid. At 30k change air filter and
spark plugs, and inspect/adjust tension on drive belt (never hurts to
have an extra with you, I always save the old one for emergency use).
22,500, inspect wheel bearing (clean and repack if needed) and inspect
brake linings.
Skipping forward from 52,500 to 60k change air filter, ignition cables,
inspect PCV valve, replace spark plugs and adjust drive belt tension.
The next maintenance check after that is 67,500.
It would not hurt to check out your; battery and alternator, a/c, brakes,
safety stuff (lights, horn etc..), bug juice, radiator hoses, wiper
blades, power steering fluid, brake fluid and exhaust system for loose
hangers. On a trip that long, since you might be eating and drinking in
the truck often, a fresh layer of Scotch Guard might be a good thing.
That is if you can make a mess like me when driving and eating. Oh, I
would take some tape with you. If you get a wind whistle from a poor cab
seal on a trip that long it could drive you buggy if you could not stop
it. That's all I can think of now. Just nose around under hood for
ideas. Okay one more thing look for loose, poor or worn wire connections
too.
Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.