RE: Suped 318 or 360

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 00:06:22 EDT

> I wasn't gonna jump in on this one, but oh well. a 318 will
> outrun a 360 any day of the week as far as durability. also, the shorter
> stroke makes it a better suited engine for racing. the only reason a 360
works
> as well as it does is because these trucks are heavy and the 360 is a
> torque motor. it's always been known as the "work" motor. ask any "old"
Mopar
> fan and he'll tell you the 318 and 340's were the horsepower makers, and
> will walk circles around a 360. take a 360 and a 318 and put them both in
3200
> pound sports cars, and you'll never want to hear the word 360 again.
> that's why the ford 302 is one of the best small blocks ever built. you
can't
> kill them, and the stroke/bore design allows them to run some serious
times.
> they have 302 mustangs that run 8's, and I bet you if anyone told them to
> dump it for a 351 they'd laugh in their face. yes, cubes are better, but
> only in the right combination. if I want to pull stumps out the back yard,
I'll
> get an r/t. but since I'm looking for a motor that's gonna run like a bat
> out of hell and last till hell freezes over, gimme a 318.

Aaron I have to both agree and disagree with you. the 360 vs 318/340 you are
absolutely correct (actually the 340 was the best of the bunch!). But the
351 vs 302 is another story. Don't forget that the 351 came in 2 flavors.
The Cleveland and Winsor blocks. Put these 2 engines into 2 same cars.. The
Cleve will whip the pants off the Winsor on any day. Or if you want to push
the issue the BCJ(Boss Cobra Jet) would trounce on both of them.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ
ICQ: 283886