RE: 4.7 Owner Input

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 17:39:39 EDT

 -----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Rodgers [mailto:rodgers_ryan@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 6:56 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: 4.7 Owner Input

I've had my new 4.7 CC 4x2 for about a month now and I am loving it. I do
have a few questions for those of you who have had one a while longer
though. So, here they are:
1. Out of curiousity, anyone here make a dragstrip run with a 4.7 CC and
auto trans? I'm curious how it would do. I believe I read a similarly
equipped Quad Cab did 0-60 in 7.4s, and 1/4 mile in 15.8s, according to
Motor Trend.

[stlaurent] More like 7.1-7.2 for the RC or CC with a 3.92 and 5 speed.
The 1/4 mile
look at Matt's run time just with a K&N Air Cleaner. Slicks versus stock
tires.

2. Anyone hear anything about a crank pulley for this engine yet? If not,
I'd be glad to contact ASP and see what they have to say.

[stlaurent] good luck.

3. Those of you who have done a K&N genII type mod, how bad was it removing
the stock air box? Would you be able to get it back in without to much
trouble? The reason I ask is that if I needed to put it back in for
emissions testing, I would like some input on how long you think it would
take. I'd sure like to use a genII type setup over a drop in, but only if
the swap out is rather painless. From what I can see, it doesn't look too
bad.

[stlaurent] None at all. When removing the air filter box and the fender
inlet tube you have
a 3 to 4 inch straight rubber inlet hose to the air box. If you look inside
you will noticed the
turbulence it will cause to the air. This unit needs to be replace with a
smoothed pipe, whether
metal or PVC-heat protected version. For a professional look I would
replace this pipe with an aluminum
type with a heat shield underneath (good against rising heat) and apply a
K&N cone at the end to the fender area.
But I still like the reverse to the windshield area for cool dense air. With
a small square filter at a inlet snout.

Thanks for the input, and I'll keep you posted on how things go with mods I
do to this truck. My profit sharing check is coming this month, so it's
time to have a little fun :-)