Re: 4.7 Oil Pressure

From: Terry Martin (tmartin@anv.net)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 09:05:48 EDT

I also have a Dakota with a 4.7. I would be more inclined to believe that
the oil gauge itself is not very accurate. Oil pressure will fluctuate
greatly between about 15 psi to 50 psi depending on rpm and engine load.
Usually, at least 10 psi per 1000 rpm is about what you want. My oil
pressure gauge hardly ever even moves. Vehicle manufacturers will often
design the gauge to always read in the "middle" so that the normal customer
always thinks the vehicle is running fine. Another example of this is how
you can drive for 30-40 miles before the gas gauge starts to go down from
full. This is so that people think that they are getting better mileage
than they really are. It would be interesting to see a mechanical oil
pressure gauge reading next to the stock oil pressure gauge.....

Terry in Las Vegas
00 SLT Dakota 4.7, bone stock
96 Chevy Impala SS, 317 rear wheel hp, 324 rear wheel torque