Re: Flowmaster Is On

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 19:36:16 EDT

    I', glad that you're happy with it (so far). It sounds like the
installation
was a lot of work, but it also sounds like the end result was well worth
it. I bet the back-pressure is considerably less with the connectors &
reducers gone. Have you noticed any bottom end loss?
    I'm sure you already know, but expect the tone to deepen over the
next couple of weeks. Aren't you glad you didn't go with the regular
3 chamber? ;-)

Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport
http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/dakota.htm

> Well I took the ole' Dak into the muffler shop today to get the
> stock(122,500 miles on it) muffler cut out and have the new one welded up.
> had the shop put in a Flowmaster Delta Flow(#942552) 2.5" Center
Inlet/2.5"
> Offset Outlet muffler, which I bought from Summit. Well it turned out
being
> a little more involved than they had thought it would be(me too for that
> matter), since there were alot of reducers and couplers which another
> muffler shop rigged up when they installed a converter when the stock one
> went out at 75,000 miles. They wanted to do it the best way they thought
the
> muffler should be put in so they fired the torch up and brought the
Sawz-All
> out. This was a really cool place. The stock pipe before the cat is 3",
but
> the old muffler shop used a 2.75" In/Outlet converter, with once again, a
> bunch of nasty welds and a bunch of nasty reducers/couplers to 'mate' up
> the stock muffler. Well this muffler shop that I was at today agreed with
me
> that they converter job wasnt that professional, nor was it the right
thing
> to replace the stock one with. So they cut the stock muffler off, on the
> outlet side and cut off the converter's exit/outlet pipe. So everything
> after the converter is new, with the exception of the exit pipe after the
> muffler. They welded a 3"-to-2.5" smooth bore reducer on the converter
where
> the 2.75" converter exit pipe used to be. This way, all those reducers and
> couplers are gone and the connecting pipe and installation looks really
> good. My exhaust does exit at the corner of the rear bumper, since I am
> using a 45 degree mandrel bent pipe instead of the 90 degree pipe(stock
exit
> is right by the pass. rear tire). With the Meg's Oval(5"x2") Stainless
Steel