Re: FIPK filter question...attn: Chuck R.

From: Chuck Robbins (intense99dak@home.com)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 15:14:24 EDT

Hi Gregg,

    Ask away ... I'm always willing to talk Daks ;-)

> What covers the end of the cone filter? Is the end
> open or is there a plate over it?

    The K&N filter is p/n KNN-RE-0810 from Summit Racing. The end
is sealed by a "stock" factory plate. According to past DML postings
and the K&N website, having the end open does not provide additional
airflow (contrary to what intenseperformance says)

> Also, did you just shove the pipe into the filter and
> let the rubber end of the filter hold it in place or
> is it clamped somehow?

    The pipe is slid into the filter by about 2". I then used a standard
screw clamp to tighten everything up. The pipe is about 1/8" smaller
diameter than the filter end, so it slid together nicely and I could still
get an air tight seal.

>And have you had to fasten the pipe to the fender for support?

    I haven't fastened the clone to anything yet and probably won't.
When I put the clone together, I allowed it to be a little long. This
results in the filter to be up against the radiator support and rest on
the bottom of the inner fender. For the time that the clone has been
on, I haven't seen any evidence of the clone moving and/or shifting. I
can move the clone a very little bit by hand and suspect the movement
is the same when going over these rough RI roads.

> Do you or anybody else know if the airhat's that come
> on the 97+, will fit on the gen II?

Sorry, i don't have a clue on this one

> I am thinking about using a 14" round air cleaner,
> wall the sides in with aluminum, and use pvc for the
> pipe...the transition from the air cleaner to the pipe
> is the problem area....I saw in a Hot Rod article they
> used a square-to-round duct adapter to do the
> transition. Hard to make it look clean though.

    Chech out http://www.members.home.com/clrobbins/coldair.htm
It's just a quick page I threw up which has a couple of photos of a
set-up like the one you described. Someone was selling this kit on
eBay, but don't know if he still is or not. At the very least, it will
give you some ideas. I will suggest that you don't use the corregated
crap that he did. You wnt something that is smooth to reduce air flow
turbulence. maybe something like the dryer vent hose I used on my
dual cool air intakes. I also remember a company that makes something
similar. I'm not sure what the url is. Maybe someone else remembers.

> TIA, sorry so long.

Not a problem ... anytime ;-)

Chuck Robbins
'99 Dakota Sport