Re: RE: Subwoofers attn Dester

From: Chris Lambert (clam9892@postoffice.uri.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 07:55:55 EDT

Ahh so true, but I had 2 kicker Comps in my old 88 for a little over a
year, Crutchfield had them rated as 300rms and 600peak, so I bought them
ran em off my 50x2 amp for 9 months, then when i had teh cash i bought an
amp rated at, you guessed it 300rms and 600peak, figuring a little over is
fine since most amps make more than they are rated at. Well long story
short 5 months after this both subs blew within weeks of each other, now I
am ripped so I call kicker and tell them the story, they tell me to take
them down to a local stereo shop to have the reason for them dying
diagnosed, it was simply too much power. So basically now I am very
careful about manufacturer claims on power handling and not exceeding those
factory claims. I try not to be a dick but I wanted to save dml space by
not putting this little story out the first time around. I hope this kinda
helps you see where I am coming from. After all kickers should be able to
handle that much power right?

Chris