Re: RE: Subwoofers attn Dester

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 01:47:59 EDT

Sorry to the list members for creating this negative bandwidth on the DML,
but I'd just like to clarify one more thing. Overpowering a sub is less
likely to blowing it than underpower it and clipping (distortion) the amp.
if you're feeding 300 TRUE watts into a sub without distortion, and it's
rated at 300 watts, it's not likly you'll blow it. Kicker comps are a nice
sub, but I can take ANY sub on the market today and blow it with a 50 watt
amp.

don't believe me?
-Dester

<< Ahh so true, but I had 2 kicker Comps in my old 88 for a little over a
 year, Crutchfield had them rated as 300rms and 600peak, so I bought them
 ran em off my 50x2 amp for 9 months, then when i had teh cash i bought an
 amp rated at, you guessed it 300rms and 600peak, figuring a little over is
 fine since most amps make more than they are rated at. Well long story
 short 5 months after this both subs blew within weeks of each other, now I
 am ripped so I call kicker and tell them the story, they tell me to take
 them down to a local stereo shop to have the reason for them dying
 diagnosed, it was simply too much power. So basically now I am very
 careful about manufacturer claims on power handling and not exceeding those
 factory claims. I try not to be a dick but I wanted to save dml space by
 not putting this little story out the first time around. I hope this kinda
 helps you see where I am coming from. After all kickers should be able to
 handle that much power right?