Re: A/C Always On, HELP

From: Chris Lambert (clam9892@postoffice.uri.edu)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 22:38:20 EDT

This does seem strange to me. So no matter what the control is on the a/c
is on also. what positions does the a/c not run while in? So my mileage,
and qtr mile times could be significantly improved with some kind of cutoff
switch? Like today it was 75 and i was open air cruising because it was so
beautiful, no need to waste performance on the a/c compressor. I do like
the WOT switch but I was under the presumption that there was one already.

>I also experienced this and found out its supposed to be that way! The
>explanation being that it "dries out the air and helps keep fog off the
>windows". There are a couple of vent switch positions that it doesn't come
>on in but I still think the concept is stupid. I live in AZ and too much
>humidity in the air is not a common problem here. On a cool morning it would
>be great to know the A/C is off. I plan to put a switch and relay wherein the
>switch will controls the relay right at the compressor where the A/C clutch is
>engaged electrically but have not gotten around to it. Also thought about
>putting a WOT switch that could also engage the relay to cut the A/C (or
>parasiting off the existing WOT switch somehow)

So if I run the fan on ONLY face or ONLY feet the A/C turns off...? Neat...
but then why have settings for the A/C at all? Seems screwy to me. I
prefer it to be set in the Bi-Level position but I guess I acn learn to
deal for a few free ponies, actually ponies that pay me to take them due to
the better mileage.

>On my 98 and my 99 the ac runs except the face position just to the right
of top
>center and feet, the next position to the right. Ac runs in all other
positions
>and the temp dial has no effect on the compressor.
>Jim in Waco

Well guys I thank you both for your input and I look forward to some
development of a cutoff switch for the a/c.

Thanks Again,
Chris
'00 CC, 4.7, 5-sp, 255/65/15's nearing baldness, tinted windows, Magnum
front plate, flairs, clear corners, stereo in progress...