Re: 5.2/5.9 TBI on a 3.9 manifold???

From: Doug Fedeli (rdf@eznet.net)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 14:16:39 EDT

The swap was a straight forward 4 bolt, 3 connector, 1 vacuum hose and throttle
linkage. 10 minutes. 15 if you put your tool away and wash your hands before the
test drive. It was from a 95 5.2L Dakota. The low end loss was the most
noticeable when I was pulling my camper (about 2500-3000 lbs). Once it was
rolling it ran great. I know it came with at least 1 bad sensor and I never
checked into the others. I ran out of time to play with it. I may try it again
if I get time. With the truck empty it ran pretty good. That extra air at mid
and upper RPMs helped.

I don't know if anyone else out there knows if increasing the bore size too much
has the same effect as opening up the intake manifold? You loose velocity at low
RPMs, cylinders don't fill completely and you loose torque. There was a write-up
in an old Mopar Muscle mag about putting the V8 TB on a 6 and running it in the
1/4. I remember it ran better, but I can't remember if they did that and
manifold mods at the same time. I'll see if I can find it. They said they opened
up the bores on the intake but I didn't have to.

Doug