Re: Re: (BOB) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 15:43:46 EDT

OK Gang,

I now have it from a reliable source within Chrysler that they are
experiencing a high failure rate on differentials for some of the late
model Chrysler lines, certainly within the state of California. My 98
Dakota is included, though I didn't get into exactly what vehicles are
included in the group. Parts are on NATIONAL BACKORDER, probably due to
the high demand to cover these failures. This might help explain why
they would not work on my vehicle AND did not offer to do so even if I
were paying. They can't get the parts to fix it. This dealership is
crammed with vehicles and short of space. I can see them wanting to
avoid having another vehicle stashed on their lot for possibly weeks
while they await parts, in addition to the rental car tab they would
have to cover. Speculating now. But it does make sense. When I called
this guy and mentioned differential issue, he stopped me before I could
even explain the situation and he launched into the national back order
deal. The high failure rate is something he is seeing personally as a
service manager for a Chrysler dealer here in California.

So, anyone out there experiencing differential noises, or issues
related, please get in touch with me offlist. I'd like to take your
name, address and phone number down for possible recall/class action
proceedings.

Also, same guy provided me with a very nice list of phone numbers for
people in the San Francisco regional office. These are numbers that are
not normally given outside of Chrysler because these people want to
remain anonymous and unreachable. I'm working through the number
sequence now. If anybody has a beef within this region and is not
getting relief through the normal channels, I'd be happy to forward
these along.

Sorry, don't recall the guy's name who gave these to me. We were
drinking and my memory is not so good anymore ;-)

Bob