RE: 180 tstat not as cold as I thought!

From: Weaver E A (orkie@charter.net)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 00:59:38 EDT

----------
From: "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@texas.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:19:19 -0500
To: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Subject: DML: RE: 180 tstat not as cold as I thought!

>You can run a 70/30 mix of Water/Coolant and not worry about overheating or
>freezing. remember, the coolant is mainly there to raise the boiling point
>and lower the freezing point of the water. The water is what transfers the
>heat from the engine block...not the coolant.

It is recommended to use at least a 50/50 mix of coolant.

 http://www.prestone.com/faq/faq.html

Even though it is true that water is more efficient at transfering heat,
antifreeze is no slouch. If there is any question about this it is easy to
prove. Just pour some coolent in a pan, toss your 180 degree thermostat in
and heat it till the the thermostat opens. At that point stick your finger
in to see if it transferees any heat.... ;)

As far as trying to cool down an older system with borderline or worse
cooling ability goes, there are additives that do a very good job. The only
ones I have used are one made by "Isloo" and the other is called "Red Oil".
I have occasionally used them over the last 25 years and have never failed
to be surprised at how well they work.