Rough Cold Idle/Coolant Sensor

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 10:57:03 EDT

First, what could/would cause my truck to run rough, only on cold start-ups?
Once the truck warms up and is started things are fine, and it doesn't idle
like I have a 440 under the hood with a wild & nasty cam stuck in it. My
truck has done this for a while now, and even though it doesn't bother be
'that' much, I still would like to fix it. I am leaning towards the coolant
sensor, which is about $15 or so.

Has anyone ever replaced this coolant sensor on their Dakota? My
understanding is that there are 2 types:
*One is located close to the thermostat on the manifold which sends the
computer how warm/cold/hot the coolant actually is. Could false readings or
a bad sensor could cause a rough idle at start ups(both cold and warm
startups)?
*The other is used for the temp gauge on the dash. This would obviously
cause a poor or inaccurate reading on the temp gauge on the dash. Where is
this one located?

I have read alot online concerning the coolant sensor and have found a bad
coolant sensor has the potential to cause excessive fuel consumption, poor
cold idle, and even stalling. Like I stated in the beginning, the cold start
ups are nasty and rough, and there are NO fault codes coming up when I do
the key on/off cycle. Oxygen sensor was replaced about 23,000 miles ago; the
cold idle problem did not change and was present beforehand. Any ideas?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6