Startup woes

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 20:37:23 EDT

Ok folks, I'm at a loss. How many of you with 6 bangers have a dry start
problem? My Dak has it pretty good. Every morning when I start it up, I
hear all kinds of unhealthy noises until the oil starts flowing. Sometimes
it's just the lifters, and sometimes it sounds like the rod or main
bearings. Any sitting over a few hours will make noise on startup.

It's not the oil filter anti-rainback valve. I've had a Purolator,
Motorcraft, and now a Mobil 1 filter and they all did it, except the first
Purolator didn't do it. Some history on the truck, at 1250 changed with
Castrol 10W-30 with Purolator Premium Plus filter, no grumble. At 3000,
changed with Castrol again and another Purolator Premium Plus, got grumble
- suspected defective filter. The temperatures were fairly low at the
time, thought the 10-30 was too thick. At 6000, changed again with Castrol
and used a Motorcraft filter, same grumble. Just the other day I rolled
over on 9000 and changed to Mobil 1 10W-30 with the Mobil 1 oil
filter. Now it's worst. Oil is same weight, but is "thinner". Hard to
believe three different brand filters in a row are defective. I've had a
similar problem with a Ford, but changing the oil pump fixed it (wasn't
wore out, just a crappy brand - only had 20K miles on it).

So folks, is it a Dodge thing, a bad oil pump thing, or ??? I have a '99
RC V6 5spd sport.

It would be kind of dumb to go to the dealer and say it makes noises on
startup when it doesn't throw a code and has normal oil pressure. They'll
keep it for a day and say nothing is wrong with it.

Mike Schwall

mschwall@flash.net