Re: tranny actin weird

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 17:58:12 EDT

> > when i take off real slow from a stop and accelerate
> > very lightly..as i was barely touching the pedal..the
> > truck shifts to 2nd at around 10mph..or between 14 and 1700 rpm
> > when it shifts...its seems to hunt between 1st and 2nd ....
> > like its shifting back and forth....kinda makes the truck buck
> > a little bit... if i take it to 2000 rpm before it shifts to 2nd
> > there is not prob at all..
> > it did it again...any ideas...likeage..or something with the puter..

If I am not mistaken, on these models the computer only controls the shift from 3
to 4 and the converter lockup. All other shifts are controled by the cable
attached to the throttle body. You will find 3 cables on the TB if u have cruise
control. This one is the only one that runs toward the firewall. The other 2
run towards the front. It can be adjusted by releasing the u shaped clip by
spreading the lock clip things and pulling out. On my 99 the clip is yellow.
Then the cable can be moved in and out to adjust the shift points. Slide in to
cause earlier shifts and out to cause later shifts. Dont move it much or you
will get really crazy shifts. Move it about 1/16 inch at a time and then test
drive to check results. When done push the plastic locking clip back in place.
Be careful not to break the plastck locking clip. These instructions were true
on my 98 318 and my 99 360. I expect the 97 v6 to be similar though. Hope this
helps you.
Jim in Waco
99 R/T RC FR