Re: MP microcontroller id?

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 23:33:25 EDT

Bob Tom wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am fairly certain that the microcontroller used in the Mopar
> Performance PCMs is a Motorola but I've been unsuccessful in
> identifying the exact one from surfing the web.
>
> Can anyone confirm/not confirm that the chip is a Motorola
> and does anyone exactly which one is being used? TIA.

Bob,

There are actually 3 microcontrollers inside the PCM (JTEC). They are
indeed from Motorola. One is a 16-bit model - MC68HC16Z2 - also referred
to as the Z2. The other two are 8-bit microcontrollers - MC68HC11D3 (fuel
control - aka D3) and MC68HC11K4 (spark control - aka K4). The Z2 handles
all high-level operations and coordination between systems. The actual
maps and stuff that the dealer flashes are contained in a 256K flash memory
device that is directly attached to the Z2.

Where are you going w/this?? Just curious - don't worry I'm just a
slightly atypical redneck w/a big interest in hacking 'puter stuff 8-).
Too bad you and I are so far apart - we'd have a blast together eh?

Who all is going to the All Mopar Southern Nationals next weekend? My wife
just gave me the ok for us to trek down there - will be camping out - hope
to arrive late Fri and staying thru Sat and Sun. Any DML events like BBQ
or something??? Yall come by and visit - we should be easy to spot w/the
Indy truck next to a tent 8-).

BTW - Very good questions - keep em coming.

Latr,

Shane