Autolites again..

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 10:35:05 EDT

Jon Smith wrote:

> way. But either way, make sure you get 1 range colder than stock
> (3923/5223)
>
> > I need to ask again what everyone prefers the 3923's or the 5223's and
> what
> > would i gain from either? mileage / performance wise...???

Gotta put my $0.02 in here... I too read all the hype about the Autolites here
on the DML so I bought a set of 3923's - they were 99 cents each - thats pretty
cheap I thought. Put them in and sure enough I thought I felt a little more
pep in the ole butt dyno. A few weeks later my Accell coil arrived and after
installing it, I pulled out the 3923s so that I could increase the gap
slightly. I was amazed at what I found - 2 things that jumped out at me after
the first plug came out - they were discolored quite a bit - looked up the
problem in several reference books and they all said "plug heat range too cold"
- hmmmm But that wasn't the worse problem - the electrodes were eat up too -
gap was 0.050 already - and after only 1,500 or so miles - wow - something aint
right. I went back to my toolbox where I kept the old stock Champions that
gave me 60,000 trouble-free miles without a single blemish to compare them to
the 3923s. The Autolites were wore down MORE than the Champions!

The Autolites never went back in - now I run Champion 4071 truck plugs. The
old man at the parts house laughed and said "I knew you would be back as soon
as I saw you buy them Autolites a few weeks ago - good choice - them Champions
will last forever....You get what you pay for"

Not wanting to start a war here but just thought someone might value this
experience. Furthermore, if you look in the 2000 Mopar Performance catalog -
they too have a recommendation for "High Performance Spark Plugs" on page 38.
The caption reads "Designed for Mopar Performance Parts by Bosch Motorsports,
these spark plugs are designed for optimum performance of your Mopar engine".
Part number is P4876926 for 3.9L/5.2L/5.9L/8.0L engines (4 per pkg).

Latr,

Shane