is: my thoughts (long).was: Noises from Rear End

From: Jon Smith (fast4x4@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 22:17:54 EDT

Well here's my thoughts on things... The week after I got my posi equipped
axle it rained quite a bit. The new rear end was whisper quiet. Since all
the roads were wet, and I was dropping right near 300ft/lbs of torque to the
tires I had axle wrap out the wazoo. After this and several hard wheel hops
(before the spring clamps) the rear end started making noise. I popped the
diff cover (VA meet) and the gears looked great. So I started talking
around to the F-body guys, in particular a buddy of mine that has been going
through several axels (10sec firechicken)... anywho I digress...

I think, in my non-expert opinion, that the gear whine stems from the ring
gear. But since it didn't make the noise when new, that means the gear lash
has changed. But what would do this? Well (bear with me here, it gets
dangerous when my mind wanders..) during the wheel hop, the torque
experienced by the ring gear is artificially high. <back to the F-body
guys> when my buddy was dumping big power to the rear on the 10sec passes,
the crush sleeve would crush from the huge amount of power to the pinion
gear.

So back to my point, I think the artificially high torque stemming from
wheel hop made the pinion gear force back (to the front of the truck)
thereby slamming into the crush sleeve, which in turn messed up the gear
lash in the ring/pinion.

Now was that clear as mud or what?!?!?? I hope someone understands that
like I do in my head, it's just hard to type, that's all :-)

> Gang,
>
> Please keep the differential problem reports coming. With 800 list
> members, if we assume 25% own late model DAKs and 5 of you have already
> reported problems, you have to wonder just how widespread this really
> is. That's 5 today alone, not including mine. How many have either not
> reported or won't bother speaking up? If even 5% of late model DAK
> owners were experiencing rear end noises and seeking service, it could
> easily overwhelm the parts pipeline. It starts to put some validity to
> the report from my Service Manager contact who suggests DC has a major
> problem with these.
SNIP SNIP SNIP SNIP