Intro. and 5-speed transmission question

From: Luke White (lukewhite@emeraldis.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 23:12:10 EDT

My wife and I (believe it or not, it's my wife's truck) just bought a 2000
Quad Cab 4.7L, 5-speed, LS diff., tire and handling package, etc. We've had
it about a week and a half now. To me the 1-2, 2-1, and sometimes the 2-3
shifts are VERY notchy. 3-4 and 4-5 (and 5-4, 4-3) are smooth as silk.
Yesterday, while taking my wife's mom out for her birthday, my wife was
driving and the truck jumped out of first gear to neutral - apparently
because first gear was only partially engaged. This is my wife's first
5-speed, so I don't believe she realized first gear wasn't completely
engaged. For those of you with a similar powertrain combination - is this
notchiness (sp??) normal? I am debating whether to bug the dealer about it.
I realize it's a "heavy duty" truck transmission, but I am puzzled as to why
certain shifts are very smooth and others are notchy.

Also, is this transmission particularly loud? I've noticed significant, but
not objectionable, gear whine - again, ok, I realize it's a truck. I've
also noticed that if you let the clutch in and out while in neutral, you can
actually hear the gear train spin up and down - never actually heard that
before in a car I've owned.

Any insight on these items would be *greatly* appreciated.

Also, also - does anyone out there autocross their truck? We plan to run it
occasionally for kicks. We're both very impressed by how well it sticks in
the corners.

Later,

Luke and Kathryn White
'00 Dakota Quad Cab