Re: lift,tires, etc...

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 08:15:27 EDT

Sandman wrote:

> I don't see how you could possibly lose ground clearance with the
> Rancho kit, it wouldn't be called a lift kit if you did.

I don't know about the Rancho kit, but I have heard directly from people
who have installed the Tuff Country kit that it reduces ground clearance
(larger tires make up for it, but still it'd be nice to not have extra
parts hanging lower than stock parts). My understanding is that the kit
uses some extra pieces under the torsion bars to act as lower bump
stops.

Go to http://www.superskunks.com/tony.htm and look at the last two
pictures.

> If you
> don't want the Rancho, and the 5.5" is too high you may just be in luck. I have
> heard the Trailmaster is going to make a kit that will put 4" on it, kinda in
> between those two. You might wanna look into this.

As far as I know, the TrailMaster kit is only for the gen II (92-96)
Daks. At least I'm pretty sure they claim the earliest year it fits is
92. This is also the only lift kit on the planet for these trucks.
Trust me. I have a 95 that I've been thinking of lifting some day. If
there's any other option for it, I want to know about it.

The Rancho and Tuff Country kits are for the gen III (97-99, at least
until someone figures out a way to deal with the new steering setup
Dodge used in 2000).

Jason Bleazard http://www.bleazard.net Toronto, Ontario
his: '95 Dakota Sport 4x4, 239 V6, 5spd, Reg. Cab, white
hers: '98 Dakota Sport 4x4, 318 V8, Auto, Club Cab, black