RE: Bad Accident

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 17:01:47 EDT

> I was driving back from a round of golf between noon and 1pm
> when all traffic stopped on I495N near Burlington and a med flight chopper
> landed on the highway about 150-200yds ahead of me. The guy (dunno if he
made it
> or not) was in the left lane and apparently suddenly swerved right across
all
> three lanes of traffic, hit a small curbing on the breakdown lane, and
flew
> approximately 30 yards into the trees... I never could see the car but I
saw
> someone walking down the path that it carved in the trees to get to it.
>
> My question is this: What the hell would cause a car to
> loose control like this? It was midday so I don't think alcohol was a
factor
> but then again I really don't know. I've never had a tire blow-out on me
> (knock on wood) so I don't know if that could have caused such erratic
swerving of
> the car. I know a couple of you guys/gals (like Ed-the-Nut ;-) see this
kind
> of thing daily and I'm just really curious what would cause such a
catastrophic
> accident... It's clear to me that the guy had no warning or time to do
> anything after "whatever" happened to his vehicle.

Tom a number of things could have happened....

1. Poor driving habits/skills at high-speeds. Very common...
2. Medical emergency (i.e. sudden heart-attack/stroke), seen this a number
of times...
3. Catastrophic failure of an automotive component at high speeds. It
happens...

For him to go off the road like that you have to be moving at a good clip,
especailly taking down timber in the process. What ever the case is, he was
moving at a great rate of speed. Considering that he got airlifted out he is
in some serious trouble, especially if he did have an medical emergency to
begin with.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd R/T (Redneck/Truck)
Rahway NJ