Gear Drive Saga...

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 19:55:25 EDT

Well, after a few quick runs, the gear drive started to make some "loose
bearing" noise. Soooo...I called Milodon back and spoke with "Dale" (one of
their techs) and he suggested that I tear it down and inspect for any type
of rubbing, strange wear patterns, and check the idler gear. To make a long
story short, the idler gear is out of spec (by about 1mm of play) so they're
sending me a new one overnight! Talk about service!! No questions and he
stated "Let's send you one out overnight...you'll have it tomorrow...and
we'll call you back tomorrow afternoon to check in with you."

Tear down takes about 20 minutes (includes time to drain the coolant) and
reassembly shouldn't take more than another hour (I let the silicone tack-up
first and take brake-clean and a polishing wheel to all surfaces before
reassembly).

I'll post the pictures up later on tonight.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd/Dakota.htm
http://www.toycrusher.com