Re[2]: 12K Axle sevice

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 07:07:18 EDT

A good thorough description of the job by Dester. A few minor tips from when I
put my locker in... After re-installing the cover let the RTV setup for an
hour and don't tighten down the bolts too tight. A lot of folks will argue
different but I didn't wait the first time and it started leaking ever so
slightly so I had to do it all over again.

Get three or four cans of brake cleaner spray (or even a case as this stuff is
pretty handy) to spray out all the gunk and gum left in the diff.

Lastly, when taking off the cover don't be surprised if it's a real mo-fo to
pry off. Just be patient and work it with the screw driver 'till it pops. I
had to *lightly* tap with a small mallet and punch from the backside to break
the factory seal.
Good luck.
Tom

<<snip>>