12K Axle sevice

From: Smith, Robert (RSmith@wva.army.mil)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 13:59:55 EDT

   Help! I've been a Dak owner for 6 months & on the DML (reader mostly)
since March, & I got one of the last DML stickers!
You guys & girls out there are waaaaay ahead of me as far as
being"motorheads" & I say that with the utmost respect. While
 I'm not mechanically challenged, as I'm a machinist by trade, this is my
first 4X4 & I'm at the 12Kservice point.
    Oil change & brake inspection no problem. What has me baffled is the
front and rear axle fluid replacement. I fully expected
to find some sort of drainage/refill plugs (sorta like an outboard motor
lower unit) underneath 'er but...NOT! Also, I'm told by local
parts places that there are no gaskets listed for replacement if I remove
the covers from the pumpkins (correct?) in order to drain
fluid. I've been told to use RTV, but I am unfamiliar with this material. Is
that what is on the units now, in lieu of gaskets?
If it is, what to I use to ensure the mating surfaces are clean prior to
reassembly?
Is it caulk-like (in a tube)? Do I squeeze a bead on one or both surfaces?
Is there a specific grade/type for this application, especially since I want
to use a synthetic gear-lube?
   Anyway, any pointers from you DMLers out there to help me perform this
without damaging anything or voiding my warranty,
would be greatly appreciated.
TIA!

Bob Smith
2K DAKSY CC Sport V-6 4X4 5-Speed;